Monday, May 17, 2010

The Infamous Bobby Burns

In my last blog about PDT, I mentioned a cocktail called the Bobby Burns cocktail that I enjoyed. The ingredients listed were Benromach 12 year scotch, Dolin sweet vermouth and Benedictine. The problem with bars is that they never list the proportions of the liquors they use. Damn them and their not giving me detailed instructions on how to make all of their signature creations. Bastards.

In the past week I've toyed with a couple of different recipes that I found on the internet for the Bobby Burns. Many of them had way to much vermouth. I thought it best to take matters into my own hands and adjust the recipe to my own taste.

In full disclosure, I did substitute the scotch in the recipe with some Irish whiskey we had left over from St. Patrick's Day. The Bobby Burns I had in PDT had a bit of lemon peel in it so I thought it appropriate to add some lemon juice. Some of the recipes I saw called for a dash of Benedictine but I found myself wishing the flavor was more prevalent so I added more. An idea I saw and stole was to add some Angostura Bitters--can't go wrong there. I cut down a little on the sweet vermouth and there you have it. A cocktail fit for a king...or at least a Scottish poet named Bobby Burns.

Bobby Burns Cocktail
as adapted by me
-2 oz. Scotch (or Irish Whiskey if it's what you've got)
-1/2 oz. Sweet Vermouth
-1/2 oz. Benedictine
-Dash or two Angostura Bitters
-Juice of half a Lemon

Shake with ice and strain into a champagne flute. Garnish with lemon.

I welcome you all to try it. Post your feedback in the comments. I'm still tinkering with the recipe and your thoughts are always helpful.

1 comment:

Maris said...

Ooh I havea bottle of whiskey and bitters in my house right now. I am not a big whiskey fan but I know some friends who would love a cocktail like this one.

Post a Comment