Monday, March 29, 2010

Egg Drinks Redux

So Heather's on an egg kick. There's a lot of them about as of late. It makes me a little nervous because I'm not the biggest fan in the world. More specifically, I like them in a certain context. I like them as an ingredient in things--cakes, french toast. But there's something about the smell of a cooking egg that nauseates me.

But raw egg, which is arguably grosser, doesn't bother me at all. I thought with all the eggs in the house, I would try my hand at some more old timey egg cocktails. I realized after the last egg cocktail blog that I focused only on drinks that involve egg yolk. A huge oversight on my part. The white can add just as much to a spirited drink.

The Savoy Cocktail Book offers a lively recipe for something called The Elk's Own Cocktail.

Elk's Own Cocktail
From The Savoy Cocktail Book
-The White of 1 Egg
-1/2 Canadian Club Whisky
-1/2 Port Wine
-The Juice of 1/2 Lemon
-1 Teaspoonful Sugar
Shake well, strain into wineglass and add a slice of pineapple.

We found a slightly modified recipe on the internet that included Rye Whiskey (we didn't have Canadian Club,) simple syrup instead of sugar and actual measurements which help a lot, but the basic idea is the same. The end result is tart, sweet and savory. It's also not quite as heavy as the egg yolk drinks. And that froth is pretty nifty.

Also as a reminder, the giveaway contest is still going on. Get your entries in by this Friday to be entered. Read the last blog post for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment